Wednesday 21 October 2009

La Roux... woooooooo-oooooooo-ooooooooo...


Oh dear. Boys. Girls. Holding hands. Growing pains. Kissing.... I'm a grown-up, what on earth am I doing listening to this teenage fluff.

Still, you'll not hear a more lethally addictive pop song than "In for the Kill" in many a year. Comes complete with wooo bits and a cracking beat. Much of the album seems lifted wholesale from old Prince tracks - the same infectious programmed beats, the same cheesy synths. Still, if one was plagiarising pop songs there's probably few better sources. And oh crikey does Eleanor Jackon have one solid gold fantastic voice.

Equally brilliant is follow up single "I'm Not Your Toy", with it's sexually-clumsy, teenage, attempted cool ("...this isn't another 'girl meets boy'..."). And the tiniest, most childish Casio-tone wooziness imaginable.

The guiltiest pleasure is the uber-80's-ophile "Cover My Eyes", complete with big 'choir' backing no less, ... Cyndi Lauper would be most proud. This is followed by the girlie-Kylie wisp of candyfloss that is "As if By Magic". Inevitably it doesn't quite hold it's own for the whole album. "Quicksand", "Bulletproof"... are simply formulaic fillers. Similarly to the Ting Tings they seem to have had one great idea, in this case the Prince affected synth+drum thing, and stretched it as far as it would go. And similarly to the Tings they've done an intelligent job that bodes well for future output and development.

It's music made for playing on mobile phone speakers. On buses... by The Kids. I'm far too old for this, surely, but I've been singing it all in the shower for 2 weeks. To my surprise and delight, it's stayed with me, and I love it to pieces.

No comments: