Friday 17 July 2009

Friendly Fires... another guilty pleasure


It's so derivative, I shouldn't like it. Problem is, they're just so damn good it's irresistible and I adore it. Mega-hit singles "Skeleton Boy" and "Jump in the Pool" are so radio-dancefloor-headphone-'friendly' as to have leapt way over the line marking platonic- to land squarely in the space labelled carnally congressing. I'll be amazed if they're not just permanently playlisted until sometime in October.

More generally, they've taken some of the best of the 80's.. and engineered some fresh sounding club-house classics. I'm still adding to the list but so far I can hear Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, Human League and Pet Shop Boys.

Joyful, young, bright - we may not remain friends come the winter, but for now these guys rule.

No comments: