Tuesday 16 June 2009

Dinosaur Jr... oh there you are


Rediscovered my vinyl copy of Where You Been a couple of weeks ago, the sleeve moulding slightly with long neglect. Oh is this a good album. I've no idea whether it's just me, but it's just the most perfect, blissed-out, sun-bathed, slacker-grunge-pop.

In marked contrast to the heavy, emotional fare of contemporaries such as, say, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden, Mascis and buddies sound like they're having a whale of time, closer perhaps to the sardonic, virtiolic side of Nirvana but with a more light-hearted, less pained view of the world. His voice for once is strong and clear, and the guitars just precise enough while never losing that live feedback drone that was such a signature.

Their most accessible album I think and my favourite, in stubborn defiance of the more widely acclaimed Green Mind. But in general you can't go wrong with any of 'em. Recommended for long, relaxed car trips.

No comments: