Thursday 30 April 2009

I'm in love with the 80's... all over again


Currently, for some reason I can't fathom, I just can't stop listening to Billy Idol. In all probability it's just some sentimental nerve popped loose and gone haywire for a bit. "Flesh for Fantasy"... "White Wedding"... "Sweet Sixteen"... it just says early 80's club night, moody lighting. The lyrics are filthy. I can picture all the dry ice and leather. I have no idea. It's so dreadfully homo-erotic glam and I'm well over that crap. I remember the mirror ball on a friday night at my local skate rink. Age.. errmm.. 12 perhaps? (Oh! He's singing about s-e-x!)

My (current) all-time favourite, genre-definitive, 80's classic is Alice Cooper's "Poison". Mainly because I can't stop giggling at the lyrics, combined with the superlatively over-the-top guitar, and the synchronised-but-oh-so-manly backing vocals - "I wan' na love you but I wan' it too much.... ". Surely they were being ironic, or satirical, or something... ah the 80's. Looking and sounding and acting ridiculous and having a whale of a time doing it.


While parked up and making out in this particular generational cul-de-sac, I'm also enjoying; early Madonna, Culture Club, Tears for Fears, Human League, and Del Amitri. And happily laughing along to Cutting Crew, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, the Thompson Twins, Pat Benetar, Bon Jovi ... oh, too many to mention. Remember Paul Young? Alison Moyet? Princess? Marilyn? Ultravox... the 80's are still underrated.

Like I say, I really don't know what's gotten into me. It's just fun.

More to follow I'm sure.

No comments: