Monday 6 April 2009

Gomez - A New Tide


Gomez... they're one of those bands that I put in my mental 'undecided' basket. For some reason they've never bubbled up into my consciousness, merely floated below the surface pending further notice.


Listening to A New Tide and again I find myself struggling to get a handle on their identity. Wikipedia tells me they're from Southport, but they're a mongrel really (and that's no intended criticism) with a barrow full of broad and obvious musical references they've tossed together to create their own voice. While modern day peers would probably include David Gray, Ryan Adams and Badly Drawn Boy, the electronic touches and laid back grooves suggest a kind of homemade or garden shed Groove Armada.


To describe it as featureless would be a cruel injustice. It's listenable, textured, groovy, skillfully put together .. but (you can see where I'm going...) I can't help finding it lacking the thing that's going to grab me. It sounds like a great album to put on as the party winds down as the sun comes up but you're not quite ready to limp off to bed; it'll make a groovy soundtrack to semi-coherent late-night chatter without too aggressively demanding you dance.

Recommended? ... well, yes - to tide us over while we wait for more from the Fleet Foxes, or if you're looking for an easier listening My Morning Jacket.

No comments: